Shani Dev Story:
Shani Dev was born on the Amavasya of Krishna Paksha of Jyestha month according to the Hindu calendar. This day is also called Shani Amavasya.
The Lord of Shani Dev’s father is Sun God and his mother’s name is Chhaya (Uparna). Shani Dev was of an opposite nature from the beginning than the other sons of Sun God. Shani Dev is considered a cruel planet. The cruelty in his eyes. He is due to his wife’s curse. The story of this curse is told in the Brahma Purana.
Shani Dev Story:
There is a very popular legend about the birth of Shani, according to which Shani is the son of Sun God and his wife Chhaya. Surya Dev was married to Sangya, the daughter of Prajapati Daksha.
|Surya dev with his wife Sangya
After some time they had three children, Manu, Yama and Yamuna. Thus for some time the Sangya tried to have a relationship with Surya, but the Sangya could not bear the sun’s glory for long.
|Surya dev wife Sangya’s shadow Chhaya
For this reason, Sangya left her shadow(Chhaya) in the service of her husband Suryade and went to do penance from there so that she could bear the glory of Sun God. After some time Shani Dev was born from the womb of Chhaya.
|Suryadev wife Chhaya Sons
How to worship Shani Dev ?
On the occasion of Shani Jayanti, prayers and fasts are done with the rituals of Shani Dev. Donation done on the day of Shani Jayanti helps in eliminating all the troubles related to Shani.
1. Take a bath early in the morning and greet the Navagrahas.
2. Then install an iron statue of Shanidev and anoint it with mustard or sesame oil.
3. After this, while worshiping Shani mantra, worship Shani Dev.
4. Lord Hanuman should also be worshiped to please Shani Dev.
5. To attain the grace and peace of Shani, sesame, urad, black pepper, groundnut oil, cloves, bay leaves and black salt can be used in worship.
6.(ॐ प्रां प्रीं प्रौं स: शनैश्चराय नम: )While speaking the mantra, donate items related to Shani Dev.
7. Items donated to Shani include black clothes, berries, black urad, black shoes, sesame, iron, oil, etc., can be donated for Shani.
8. In this way do not eat anything throughout the day after worship and keep chanting the mantra.
Importance of Shani Jayanti:
According to religious beliefs, Shanidev is born on the Amavasya Tithi of Jyeshtha month. From the time of birth, Shani Dev was Shyam Varna, with long body, big eyes and big hair. On this day, worship is done in major Shani temples and things related to Shani are donated. Due to which the effect of Saturn’s inauspicious position in the horoscope is reduced.
By worshiping Shani Dev on this day or donating things related to it, the defects of Shani are removed. On this day those who devoutly worship Shani Dev are saved from going towards sin. Therefore, they do not have to suffer when Saturn is in a state. Worshiping Shani Dev also helps in getting rid of the sins of unknowingly committed sins.