Christ of the Redeemer:
The first idea to design a giant statue of Christ in Rio came in the 1850s, when a local priest came up with the idea of building a Christian monument atop Mount Corcovado. For this, he requested (the daughter of the then Emperor Pedro II and the Princess Regent of Brazil) to fund his project. But the princess ignored it and when Brazil became a republic in 1889, it was completely denied because it would be against secularism.
Facts of Christ the Redeemer:
- The 1920s statue was commissioned by a group called the Catholic Circle of Rio. It took about 9 years to build this idol, its construction work started in 1922 and was completed by 1931.
- This majestic statue is the largest Art Deco statue in the world with a base of 9.5 meters, height of 130 feet and width of 98 feet.
- It cost about US $ 250,000 to build this statue, which was donated by the Catholic Christians of Brazil.
- There are seven wonders of the world, one of which includes the statue of Christ the Redeemer, which was included in the Seven Wonders of the World on July 7, 2007.
- This statue is located on the top of the Corcovado mountain in the Tijuca Forest National Park, with the total weight of the statue being about 635 tonnes.
- The stones used to make the statue of Christ were brought from Sweden.
- There were many designs for Christ the Redeemer but the design that was chosen shows that Christ loves all and that he would embrace those who come to him.
- This statue is situated on the top of the Corcovado Mountain, in the Tijuca National Forest of Brazil, where railway facilities have been provided for tourists to reach. Which was built in 1882 by Emperor Dom Pedro II to reach the top of the mountain.
- The idol was damaged by a storm and lightning on 10 February 2008. The fingers, head and eyebrows of the idol were damaged, which were later repaired by the government.
- The statue was sculpted by French sculptor Paul Landowski and designed by local engineer Heitor da Silva Costa.
- Christ the Redeemer is considered a symbol of Rio de Janeiro and Brazil.
- Christ the Redeemer is the 5th largest statue of Jesus in the world.
- The statue is made of strong concrete and soapstone which provides strength to the statue.
- The cost of the statue in 1931 was approximately US$250,000, which is equivalent to about a million US dollars today.
- The idol was constructed in pieces and later taken to the top of the mountain to be erected.
- The right hand of Christ the Redeemer is facing south Rio de Janeiro and the left hand is facing north Rio de Janeiro.
- Christ the Redeemer is lit each night with approximately 300 energy-efficient LED lights. Due to these lights, the idol can be seen even from a distance. The idol is illuminated with green and yellow colored lights.
- The Christ idol is believed to depict a cross but it is also said to be in a hugging posture.
Christ the redeemer,christ the redeemer, christ of the redeemer,christ the redeemer statue, christ the redeemer brazil, history of christ the redeemer, christ the redeemer history,christ the redeemer is located in which country, christ the redeemer images, christ the redeemer height,christ of the redeemer facts,christ the redeemer facts christ the redeemer in hindi, christ the redeemer pronunciation,christ the redeemer locations,christ the redeemer picture, christ the redeemer lutheran church, christ the redeemer drawing, christ the redeemer photos, christ the redeemer 7 wonders of the world ,christ the redeemer ki pratima