Table of Contents
Bhimshankar Jyotirlingais located on a mountain called Sahadri, about 110 km from Pune in Maharashtra.
History of Bhimashanka Jyotirlinga(Temple):
But Karkati (his wife) did not accompany her. She stayed on the same mountain. After some time, Karkati gave birth to a son. It was named Bhima. When Shriram killed Kumbhakarna, Karkati decided to keep her son away from the deception of the gods and went away from there.
When Bhima grew up, he came to know the reason for his father Kumbhakarna’s death. Then he decided to take revenge from the gods. Bhima meditated on Brahma and received a boon from him for being very powerful.
The king started worshiping Shiva by making Shivling in prison. When Bhima saw this, he attempted to break the Shivling, made by the king with his sword. Then Shiva appeared there and killed Bhima.
Then all the gods appeared there and requested Shivji to reside there. Shiva accepted the prayers of all and was established there as Jyotirlinga. Due to the battle with Bhima at this place, this Jyotirlinga got the name Bhimashankar.
Important Facts about Bhimashankar Temple:
- Bhimshankar templehas been constructed with many types of stones.
- Bhimshankar temple is built in the Nagara style.
- Indo-Aryan style can also be seen somewhere in the Bhimshankar temple.
- There is also a temple of Mata Parvati in Bhimshankar Temple. Which is called Kamalja Temple.
- It is believed that at this place the goddess fought with the demon Tripurasura. After the war, Brahmaji worshiped Goddess Parvati with lotus flowers.
- There are also many kunds near the Bhimshankar temple.
- In the Bhimshankar temple, there are kunds named Moksha Kund, Sarvatirtha Kund, Gyan Kund, and Kusharanya Kund.
Best time to reach Bhimashankar
If you want to visit Bhimashankar Temple then go between the month of August and February. You can visit Bhimashankar Temple at any time except in summer season.
Where to stay:
Every kind of arrangement has been made to stop the devotees here. Just a short distance from Bhimshankar is Shinoli and Ghodgaon, where you will get all kinds of facilities to stop.
How to reach Bhimashankar temple:
Bus facility and taxi are easily available from Pune to reach Bhimashankar Jyotirlinga temple. MRTC government buses operate daily from 5 AM to 4 PM from Pune. By holding it, you can easily reach Bhimshankar temple. Special buses are also arranged to reach here on Mahashivaratri.
The nearest railway station to the temple is Pune. Buses and taxis are available from Pune to Bhimashankar.